FBFF questions: Wake up in the morning, feeling like...?


Happy Friday all!  I've once again managed to get my act together and answer the questions Katy of Modly Chic proposed for this week's FBFF (Fashion Beauty Friend Friday), where she organizes a group of questions around a relevant topic for bloggers to answer.   Today we're talking about what goes into making the finished product that is a vast amount of the content produced by style/fashion bloggers- what we're wearing.


1. How do you determine what you will wear that day?

I tend to think about what I'd like to wear as I'm doing the waking up process.  I will factor in the important things most of the time:  What do I anticipate doing with my day, what's the weather outside, whether there's a particular thing I really want to wear, how messy are things likely to get, and how hard might this item be to clean.  Comfort is pretty much always a factor, but I'm more likely to sacrifice some comfort, say for the sake of wearing heels if I know I'm going to be at my desk all day and low wedges or flats if I'm going to be on my feet and running around.  I like to start off with a particular item in mind, but from there it can be a fairly trial and error process, as illustrated by my "guide to getting dressed" post.

2. Do you plan outfits out in advance for a whole week, month, weekend?

I tend not to.  While doing the 30 for 30 I did start matching things up as outfits and setting them out in my closet, to use as the mood struck me, which did make getting dressed much quicker.  I have also started to try planning outfit ideas during traveling.  I don't always stick to it, but it helps me to figure out what to pack.  Sadly, I don't have any super awesome closet computer set-up like Cher in Clueless.

3. Do you have any specific way of tracking outfits and items already worn so you don't repeat?

I now have this blog and I suppose I should put together a composite of outfits so that I don't start repeating things!  But mostly I just try to rely on my memory, although I don't really have a problem with wearing the same thing twice. 

4. How do you discover new combinations of items in your closet? (Trial try-ons?  Hanging items together?)


I will sometimes hang things together, and I get really excited when I notice two things hanging near each other and maybe sticking out a little bit that I wouldn't have put together, but I now really want to wear in the same outfit.  I like to think that they were trying to reach out for each other in the closet cuz they knew that they should be friends.  When at Thanksgiving this year, someone commented on my outfit and thought I had my own style, which is kinda neat, and then she told me that I must have played dress-up as a kid.  Weeeeell, I don't know that I was that into dress-up as kid (although there is an awesome video of my age 5 tromping down the stairs in my new Barbie clothes on Christmas), but as an adult I like to play dress-up in my closet and just try things out sometimes (frequently while dressed in my fanciest shoes).  This generally leads to me leaving piles of clothes on the floor, but will also help me to realize some of the ideas floating around in my head and how to pull those ideas off in reality.  I also have a bunch of stuff floating around in my head from reading blogs.

5. To streamline the process for 2011 what is one new thing you can do to cut down your dressing time?

My first big project is going to be to organize my closet.  Now that I'm in a different space I need to re-establish where everything is and figure out a good way for everything important to be accessible and things that are more permanently stored to be out of the way.  But that's not really a new thing- it's more of a desperately needed thing that's hung over from 2010.  I like the idea of loosely reinterpreting the 30 for 30 by picking out a limited number of items and then using that as a jumping off point, or by picking ahead of time items I'd like to build an outfit around and using that to figure out what to wear.

Alright, now it's your turn!  What goes into getting you dressed in the morning?  Do you work within a more organized structure or let the process happen more organically?  For the most part I like getting dressed, but let's face it, there are plenty of days where nothing seems to work and there are multiple start-overs.  Any advice for me for getting to the final outfit more quickly?

You can find out what other bloggers are thinking about these questions on Modly Chic, and read more about Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday here.

No comments:

Post a Comment