2.3 miles!

For the first time in over a year, I ran more than two miles, which is a really good feeling.  It was probably about as slow as I am walking, but I'm excited to hopefully be able to build up my miles for running.  I really miss having a body that was capable of doing the things that I could when I was in high school, or even as short a time ago as college.  I never considered myself terribly athletic when I was a kid, but the truth is that I was really active- I was up to six days a week of ice skating and dancing by the time I finished middle school, frequently both on one day.  I spent many of my summers at the rink doing training camps all day (although there was plenty of time for cards and shenanigans outside of on and off ice training).  I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my right tibia just before high school and that's pretty much where all that went downhill-  I never returned to dance or skating at quite the same intensity, although I did do it moderately throughout high school, and found my way through to actually enjoying these things, even though I had at times resented them when I was younger.  In college I took a couple of recreational dance classes, which provided some activity, and spent a fair amount of time walking around my insanely large campus.

But the city where I moved to go to grad school?  You guys, it is unpleasant here to be outside for the majority of four or five months.  It is a city of poor public transportation, sprawled out locations, and drivers.  It is not a pedestrian friendly city.  And while I spend a decent amount of time on my feet during the day, it is typically ergonomically unfriendly movements.  At some point after I moved here, I decided that I wanted to be a runner.  I am not, and have never been naturally inclined to run.  It used to flare up my back problems, although that hasn't seemed to be as much of a problem currently.  But I worked on it, and ran three miles on the treadmill once over a year ago.  It felt great, except for one thing.  I had developed blisters on the bottom of my feet that were 1 1/2 to 2 inch squares.  Tape wasn't helping, blister band aids weren't helping, and I pretty much walked everywhere on my tip toes for the next couple weeks while they healed.  For a while I did not consistently get out to run, and I'll be honest, it was a pretty overwhelming year between two qualifying exams, finding my place in lab, a serious relationship, and some pretty rough family stuff.  A couple months ago I decided that I wanted to make running a priority in my life and started the couch to 5k program.  When I was doing intervals, I was okay, but going out and running two miles?  In a row?  I just couldn't do it.  I was tired, sore, and bored by going the same speed on the treadmill.  I felt like I was getting better at not gasping for air, but I just couldn't keep going past about a mile and a half.

That is now no longer true.  Just in time too!  A group of us are doing a green dress run put on by one of the local bars as a fundraiser for what sounds like a pretty great charity.  It involves running two miles, drinking, and of course- the green dress is mandatory.

2 comments:

  1. Heather, I am so incredibly proud of you. Thank you for sharing everything that led up to this HUGE accomplishment. It's helpful for us to understand just what this means and to share your pride in it, and I imagine it was also therapeutic for you to see just how far you've come in your journey. I remember going for a run with you at your Dad's house this summer and I was blown away by your speed and endurance - you hardly seemed like someone who had just come from the "couch," as your training schedule was named. I can't wait for you to don that green tutu and show off your hard work to the great people in your life in Houston. I want to see pictures and your huge grin at the finish line!!!

    And I also can relate to one of the lines you had about finally being able to enjoy your activities, rather than resent them. I had a similar experience with running once I was no longer competitively doing it after high school. I remember one day while on a long run I was tired and wanted to walk a stretch, and a lightbulb went off and I thought "I CAN walk and not feel guilty about it!" Ever since then I've enjoyed longer runs and can just enjoy the time spent outdoors, pushing myself to greater distances, without a huge cloud of guilt or a need for specific results hanging over my head. I hope that after this race you feel a similar love for running and can push yourself to new distances. (5K?)

    You're my hero and inspiration, Fisk! I love you so much. Congratulations and KILL IT at the race! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, you're amazing! You're going to be awesome at the race. Way to be motivated!

    ReplyDelete